Friday, June 8, 2012

Would I'll Have Another been the next Triple Crown champion?


Would "I'll Have Another" been the next Triple Crown champion? 

by Lou Sahadi 



"I'LL Have Another" photo credit RobertBLewis2012
In one of the most bizarre events ever associated with the Triple Crown, odds on favorite "I'll Have Another" was scratched the day before the highly anticipated Belmont Stakes and sadly losing the opportunity to become  a significant chapter of racing lore. The hard charging three-year old, a prohibitive 4-5 favorite to win the Triple Crown in 34 years was sidelined with tendinitis in his left front foot early Friday morning.   It was the first horse in 78 years to withdraw from the Belmont after winning the Kentucky Derby and the Preakness.


It was indeed a strange occurrence.  After a strong, fast workout on Monday which, pleased trainer Doug 0'Neill, "I'll Have Another" looked unbeatable in his quest for the Triple Crown. There was no visible appearance of tendinitis or any other ailment that would have hindered him. Yet, it's been a characteristic with 0'Neill's horse to breakdown who came into the Belmont suspended for 45 days by the California Racing  Board for juicing his horses with some illegal substances.


"It's not tragic, but it's a huge disappointment," remarked 0'Neill.


Jockey Mario Gutierrez celebrates atop I'll Have Another
photo: Andy Lyons - Getty Images 
Racing is all about horses and importantly about their welfare.  Laz Barrera, the trainer of Affirmed, the last Triple Crown winner in l978, always felt that the horse was more important than any jockey.  He believed it was up to him to train a horse to perfection for a race.
I'll Have Another's withdrawal aroused the skeptics.  How could a horse that looked so sharp on Monday break down on Friday?  Some wonder whether the quarantine barn system mandated by New York's racing officials prevented 0'Neill from applying  his magic elixir to his horse.


Yet, the biggest wonder remains: Would "I'll Have Another" been the next Triple Crown champion?


1 comment:

  1. I tried to connect with you on LinkedIn, but wasn't able to. I see where you did the copy for an ESPN documentary about the 30th anniversary of the Marshall plane crash. I've written a book about the subject which is entitled "November Ever After." It's a memoir that goes beyond anything else that's been published or produced on the tragedy. I played football at Marshall in the late '60s/early '70s and knew most of the guys who died in the crash. If you would, I'd appreciate you taking a look at the book's blog (http://novembereverafter.blogspot.com) when you get a chance. I'd like to get your thoughts on what you see. I sincerely believe that this story deserves a national platform. Thanks in advance for your consideration. You can leave a comment on the blog's most recent post, or you can email me at tee85@hotmail.com. Thanks in advance for your consideration.

    ReplyDelete