Wednesday, May 30, 2012

"I'll Have Another" cited by the California Horse Racing Board

I read with alarm that Doug 0'Neill, the trainer of Triple Crown candidate "I'll Have Another" was cited by the California Horse Racing Board for providing his horses with illegal performance enhancers on three occasions last year.  That's so disturbing to anyone who loves the sport of racing. For one, I fell in love with thoroughbred racing when I wrote a book on Affirmed, The Last Triple Crown in 2011 which has been reproduced in paperback this  year.  Affirmed's tenuous one-on-one rivalry with Alydar in the Kentucky Derby, Preakness and The Belmont is regarded as perhaps racing's greatest  rivalry.


"I'll Have Another"  AP photo credit   
Penny Chenery, the owner of Triple Crown winner Secretariat in 1973, was quite upset atthe charges leveled against 0'Neill.  She acknowledged that J. Paul Reddam, the owner of I'll Have Another shoould be embarrassed over the allegations.


"I think that it is regrettable," she remarked in an article in The Atlantic magazine. "I think he shoould be embarrassed that the trainer he chose does not have a clean record."


Although I never met Mrs. Chenery in my year long research on Affirmed, I completely agree with her.  0'Neill created an onus on the June 9 Belmont Stakes.  Throughout the years, there has been a stigma to some degree by the bettors that racing is fixed. 0'Neill has added to that.  There is a black cloud hanging over this year's Belmont.  If I'll Have Another is wins, it will be looked upon as a tainted victory. 


 Penny Chenery and Secretariat
[photo credit Saratoga.com]
0'Neill knows all about enhancers and was suspended for such back in 2010 in Illinois. Calfornia ruled that 0'Neill's suspension won't go into effect until July 1.  That's puzzling to me.  0'Neill can still train his horse for the Belmont as if he was out on bail.  How convenient.
0'Neill says he is upset by all the criticism he has received. He  should be.  0'Neill brought it upon himself.  He should be locked up in a barn for a year.  Pass the oats...      - Lou 
                         



No comments:

Post a Comment